PRECIS support forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: PRECIS is not running
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:58 pm 

Dear Users,

It is quite terrible that PRECIS is not running at all in my system after giving all my efforts over the past week and today. The latest errors as I have already mentioned in one of the posts "CDAT installation" that it is stuck at "updating ancillary file". I have done all the necessary steps told by David and other posts in the forum and as required by my system Linux Mint (64-bit).

Please advice me on the next step at the earliest.

Thanking you in advance.

Khandu
Curtin University

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:21 pm 

Dear All,

The same thing happens to the 32-bit version as well. Please kindly help me. I m not able to go to OpenSUSE as I m not familiar with it and most of my programs are run on Mint system.

Thanks once again.

Khandu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:15 am 

Khandu,
Please post the most recent output file from your model run.
Code:
cd $MY_OUTPUT
ls -rt *.leave | tail -2 | xargs gzip -v

Reply to this message and attach the two *.gz files generated by the command above.

Thanks
David

p.s. Linux Mint should be absolutely fine at either 32 bit or 64 bit (the model will run at the same speed on either). You do not need to switch to OpenSUSE. We can get your model solved by debugging.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:36 am 

Hi David,

Thanks for your prompt response. I didn't know that you were away. The zip file attached herewith for your reference.

Kind regards,

Khandu

Attachments:
abcaa000.abcaa.d14164.t001540.leave.gz [3.26 KiB]
Downloaded 411 times

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:24 am 

Khandu,
What do you see when you type

Code:
perl -v

?

David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:11 pm 

Hi David,

Here is the version:

This is perl 5, version 18, subversion 2 (v5.18.2) built for x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
(with 41 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)

Copyright 1987-2013, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl". If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

Regards,

Khandu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:51 pm 

Khandu,

Your model is showing an error related to the Perl programming language. We are looking into it.
In the meantime I might suggest a possibility to you...

My guess is that the version of Perl you are using is not compatible with the syntax used in the PRECIS control scripts. This is because some of the syntax used in older versions of Perl has changed. In other words, the code we wrote is perfectly compatible with Perl 5.10 but now Perl 5.18 expects different programming syntax.

Obviously this is something we will need to address ourselves (by updating our code). But as a quick solution, I think your best bet is to install an older version of Perl (5.10 - 5.13) alongside your current version (5.18).

You can then switch between versions using Perlbrew (see http://perlbrew.pl/ )

Having two versions of Perl installed side-by-side is not as unusual as you might think -- this is why Perlbrew was developed.

I am sorry for the delays you are experiencing. We will keep trying until you are running.

David

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:51 am 

Hi David,

Thanks for the response. I think I will wait till you test the new perl version. Installing the old perl seem to ask a series of questions which I m not very comfortable with. So instead of installing it, I might land up nowhere.

Till then I will wait for your response. I don't clearly remember what sort of perl I had in my machine before and it seem to work accept that it interferes with the python library. As a result I changed to a new version thinking it is a system problem.

Anyway I will wait for you.

Kind regards,

Khandu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:34 pm 

Hi Khandu,
I have now experienced this perl error myself (using OpenSUSE 13.1) so it is now extremely high priority for us to fix.
I will say that if you are in a hurry, that you might consider using a slightly older version of Linux -- for example OpenSUSE 12.3 (which has an older version of perl)
or Linux Mint 15.
Again I apologise for this error. Thank you for bringing this error to our attention, because it has really helped us in our development processes.
David

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:35 pm 

Hi David,
We have been trying unsuccessfully to install and run Precis over the last few weeks too. We tried under Ubuntu (unsuccessfully) and eventually tried a fresh installation of OpenSUSE 13.1. Like Khandu, the precis demo simulation stops at "updating ancillary files" when viewed via the Experiment monitor (but note that the 'Currently running experiments' button under 'Monitor' shows there are no experiments running). The "$DATADIR/precis_output/[current-exp].leave" file shows the error below related to the script 'lbc_update' file, which gives depreciation errors related to the use of perl. We have tried a work-around by installing perlbrew to run earlier versions of perl using the following command "perlbrew switch perl-5.11.0".

perl -v gives the following:
"This is perl, v5.11.0 (*) built for i686-linux"

I've tried running precis with this 'fix' but its still not working and stops with the same message at the same place. Do you have any other suggestions please?

Thank you,

Isabella

--------------
Precis ERROR
Use of ?PATTERN? without explicit operator is deprecated at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/lbc_update line 162.
"my" variable %ENV masks earlier declaration in same statement at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/lbc_update line 163.
syntax error at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/lbc_update line 156, near "$DIR qw(LBC_DIR PP4LBC_DIR)"
Global symbol "$DIR" requires explicit package name at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/lbc_update line 157.
Global symbol "$DIR" requires explicit package name at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/lbc_update line 157.
Global symbol "$DIR" requires explicit package name at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/lbc_update line 158.
Global symbol "$DIR" requires explicit package name at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/lbc_update line 158.
syntax error at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/lbc_update line 159, near "}"
Global symbol "$pp4lbc_prefix1" requires explicit package name at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/lbc_update line 504.
Global symbol "$pp4lbc_prefix1" requires explicit package name at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/lbc_update line 591.
Execution of /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/lbc_update aborted due to compilation errors.
ERROR updating lateral boundary condition file (exit code 255)