PRECIS support forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:38 am 

Hi,

I encountered some errors when I ran PRECIS 2.0. The PRECIS reported an error about ozone creation. I have extracted the error info from the leave file, as follows:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ozone : Deleted existing file /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/wxqac/qrclim.ozone.akwsl
ERROR: Failed in system /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/ancil/vn5.0/control/scripts/ancil_top -mask /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/wxqac/qrparm.mask -grid /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/wxqac/gridnamelist_vn5.0 -output /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/wxqac -script .make_ancil_ozone.script -namelist .make_ancil_ozone.namelist -verbose -cal360 -north2south >>/home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/wxqac/.wxqac.ozone.out 2>&1
at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/utils/make_ancil_general line 149.
See /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/wxqac/.wxqac.ozone.out for details.
ERROR: ozone creation failed in system /home/precis/um/vn4.5/utils/make_ancil_general -g /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/wxqac/gridnamelist_vn5.0 -O /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/wxqac/.wxqac.ozone.out -q /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/wxqac/qrparm.mask -t ozone /home/precis/precis_expt/wxqac/wxqac_ancil_master/ozone.rcp45.360 /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/wxqac/qrclim.ozone.akwsl
at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/utils/ancil_create line 737, <$fh> line 1.
main::make_ancil_ozone_ called at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/utils/ancil_create line 373
main::make_ancil_('ozone') called at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/utils/ancil_create line 335
ERROR: Ancillary updating failed in ancillary creation.
at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/ancil_update line 512.
Time taken by /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/ancil_update:
**ANCIL_TIME: 158.27s real 148.69s user 4.18s system

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

ERROR updating ancillary files (exit code 2)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
------------------------------------------------------------------

I also checked /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/wxqac/.wxqac.ozone.out, unfortunately, there is no detailed info about the error except the following:

"
ERROR: Failed in system /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/ancil/vn5.0/control/scripts/ancil_top -mask /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/wxqac/qrparm.mask -grid /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/wxqac/gridnamelist_vn5.0 -output /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/wxqac -script .make_ancil_ozone.script -namelist .make_ancil_ozone.namelist -verbose -cal360 -north2south >>/home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/wxqac/.wxqac.ozone.out 2>&1
at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/utils/make_ancil_general line 149.
"

I would very much appreciate that if anyone could help check this.

Many thanks.
Xander Wang

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:55 am 

Hello,
Would you mind gzipping and then attaching the full *.leave file to a response post to this thread?
David

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:56 pm 

Hi David,

Attached please find the zipped leave file.

Thanks.
Xander

Attachments:
leave.tar.gz [14.92 KiB]
Downloaded 893 times

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:43 am 

Hi,
First of all apologies for the delay.

Could you please do the following

open a terminal

type:
Code:
cd
.  setvars
cd $ANCIL_MASTER
mkdir TMP
mv ozone.historical.360*  TMP
wget http://www.precisrcm.com/ANCIL/master/ozone.historical.360.d9c10.gz
wget http://www.precisrcm.com/ANCIL/master/ozone.historical.360.f9c10.gz
wget http://www.precisrcm.com/ANCIL/master/ozone.historical.360.h9c10.gz
wget http://www.precisrcm.com/ANCIL/master/ozone.historical.360.j9c10.gz
gunzip -v *.gz

then try to restart the PRECIS experiment (Run from the beginning).

Basically we are having you replace the ozone ancillaries in case there's a corrupt file on your current installation.

David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:19 pm 

Hi David,

I have tried your solution. Unfortunately, the PRECIS still failed with an error of "ERROR: Failed to update ancillary files". Please see the attached leave file for more details.

Thank you very much for your help!

All the best,
Xander

Attachments:
leave.file.zip [14.71 KiB]
Downloaded 839 times

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:58 pm 

Hi Xander,
Any chance you could install Team Viewer so someone could connect remotely and try to repair the error?
David

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:17 pm 

Hi David,

Thank you very much and I will setup Team Viewer later one. Meanwhile, I noticed that the PRECIS runs normally if I set the resolution of the same domain to 50 km (the resolution of my previous failed experiment was 25 km). Is this because that there were too many grid cells (around 350 x 350) at 25 km?

Thanks again.

All the best,
Xander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:29 pm 

Hi Xander,
You've solved our mystery. In PRECIS workshops we talk about the dangers of creating regions that are too large. A large domain will of course take much longer to run. And you've spotted another issue -- large domains mean that the input data files (in your case, ozone) become too large for the model to handle. (There's also another issue that is the subject of debate -- that regions too large mean the internal areas of the domain run the risk of losing constraint from the driving data, developing a climate independent of the driving GCM, meaning the RCM is not adding value).

So I would advise you to reduce the size of your domain considerably. At 25km I would aim for 200x200 maximum. Try creating a smaller domain at 25km and see if it will run. If you really need the large area, I suggest using 50km resolution.
David

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:41 pm 

Hi David,

Thank you so much for your explanation and suggestions. They are really helpful. I will reduce the size of my domain and get it started.

BTW, I heard that other RCMs can support a resolution of 10km or even higher, do you have any plans to increase the resolution of PRECIS to a similar level? I understand that increasing the resolution will eventually lead to more grid cells (if the domain size is kept the same), then we may face the similar problems and many others.

Many thanks again!

All the best,
Xander