PRECIS support forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:36 pm 

Hi good afternoon my name is Luis Alejandro Del Castillo from CATHALAC Panama, I am wondering if you can give me some guidance about how to do the graphics of Magnitude of changes in average of temperature, and the average change in precipitation amount. This is about the graphics of Selecting members of the ‘QUMP’ perturbed-physics ensemble for use with PRECIS Figure 2.

Regards
Luis Alejandro Del Castillo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:02 pm 

Hi Luis,

To calculate the 'average magnitude of changes in precipitation' is straightforward - I calculated the delta (change) between average precip by 2070-2100 w.r.t 1961-90 at each grid box, but then before spatially averaging I calculated the root-square of the change at each grid box. This makes the 'magnitude if change' positive at every grid box so that when spatially averaged, the regions with negative changes don't cancel out the positive regions.

This is described in more detail in McSweeney et al 2012 - i'll try to upload the paper (the file is too big - will try to compress and add later).

Hope this helps,

Carol

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:17 pm 

Ok so file is too big to attach here - Luis, if you PM me your email address then i will email you the PDF of the paper!

Carol