PRECIS support forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: PANOPLY
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:25 am 

Hi
Ive just started using PANOPLY software to edit and visualize PRECIS output data. I just love it, great quality graphs, short animations and possibility to export data as KMZ
But I think that software is for only for global models not for regional isnt it ?!
I got data for UK (see attachment) and Panoply automatically putting it on the centre of the map... how to adjust it ?!
If anyone could help I would be grateful or maybe there is other also great software to generate KMZ files for regional models

all best
Maciej

Attachments:
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg [ 57.39 KiB | Viewed 9009 times ]

Post subject: Re: PANOPLY
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:48 am 

Hi Maciej,

There are a couple of things I see there.
First of all, unless you are running over West Africa, it appears that you have not regridded your PRECIS output data. You can use ppregrid to do this (but first remove the outer 8 point rim). We can help you do that if you need to.

Secondly, in Panoply you can change the map projection. The one which is best for RCM data is probably "Equirectangular Regional". Once you choose the projection, you have to manually set the latitude, longitude and height of the plot. The good news is that once you do that, you can save the plot settings so that when you close and reopen Panoply it will then have the settings you configured before (which are specific to your region). You can also play around with color scales, add captions, change the max and min for the scale, change the title and more. It's pretty straightforward to use - good luck!

David

Post subject: Re: PANOPLY
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:10 am 

Thank you David !

P.S

Is it possible that MetOffice firewall blocking some external emails... ? Ive sent email to Rosanna, PRECIS support and Simon without any answer (2 weeks ago) ?!