PRECIS support forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: precis installation
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:09 pm 

I have seen the respons which says " INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS"
1) Log in as user precis and open a terminal". what is the assumtion here? Are you assuming that there is Linux system on the potential installation desktop computer? if i am going to use precis password for installing PRECIS, that has to be from the VirtualBox linux? Only from Antix 13.1Image. the www.precisrcm.com/SolusOS.ova the page doesn't exist for installation virtualBox linux image The extention ".OVA" file is Antix13.1 has the ova extention. i OPEN THAT TERMINAL DID NOT BE ABLE TO INSTALL IT
All this are not major problem, the PRECIS installation, from where to start is the PROBLEM . PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

Post subject: Re: precis installation
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:17 am 

gkebede wrote:
Following installing the Met office scientific Applications linux image only good for VirtualBox installation. But to install the full version of Precis even on Linux Suse there is no clear installation instructions. If there is one Please let me know. I want to start working on it as soon as posible. NEED HELP!!!!!

Girma,

If you intend to run the model, you should not use the Virtual Box images to do the model runs. This is because Windows (or OSX) uses about 50% of the RAM and 50% or more of the CPU. It means that while it is possible to run PRECIS inside Virtual Box, it will be at least 50% slower than running PRECIS on a dedicated Linux PC.

If you intend to run the model, you need to install Linux on your PC. PRECIS runs on any version of Linux - 32 bit or 64 bit (there is no difference in speed for either). It is simpler to use 32 bit.

The most popular Linux distributions right now are Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Our team prefer OpenSUSE Linux, but it is not mandatory.
Search on Google for Ubuntu, Mint or OpenSUSE to download the installation DVD or CD for them. You will need to write the Linux ISO file to a DVD or CD using DVD burner software in Windows etc.

Then it is a matter of booting up the PRECIS PC from the Linux DVD. Sometimes at boot there is a message which says "Hit F12 to select boot device" and you would insert the LINUX DVD and boot from DVD/CD. From there, the instructions are quite straightforward for new users. You will need to create a user account (called e.g. precis) which is where you will install the model.

After you have booted into linux, you need to install several packages:
* ImageMagick
* ksh (or pdksh)

You also need to enable the "AT daemon".

You can search the forum or google for possible instructions on how to do this.

For more information, see sections 2.3 and 2.5 of the PRECIS technical manual:
http://www.precisrcm.com/tech_man.pdf

Once you have installed Linux and have the packages installed, you will need to download PRECIS and can follow the detailed instructions in this post:

http://forum.precisrcm.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28

I hope this helps. If not, please continue to post on the forum.

Thanks
David