PRECIS support forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:48 pm 

Hi Isabella,

PRECIS works "out of the box" on OpenSUSE 12.3. Please try that distribution for now.

Use of OpenSUSE 13.1 (or the most modern versions of Ubuntu, Mint, etc) has no advantage. The model will not run any faster on
newer Linux.

OpenSUSE 12.3 is still supported (i.e. the updates and repositories are still active) so it is not a huge step backwards.

I am sorry about these issues with Perl.

David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:17 am 

Hi David,

Thank you for your reassurance. To be fair, I tried on all linux versions (15,16 and 17) and it seemed to apparently run on Linux 16 and after I updated it, it failed to run. I will try to run on the older version of OPENSUSE again and see how it goes.

But for my real experiment, I m looking for PRECIS 2, which will then give me the most up-to-date information on climate change scenarios. I hope you will be able to release PRECIS 2 in due time.

Kind regards,

Khandu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:03 pm 

Dear Isabella,

Please can you try making the following edit to the file $SPATH/lbc_update ?

Change line 156 from
Code:
 foreach my $DIR qw(LBC_DIR PP4LBC_DIR) { 

to
Code:
foreach my $DIR (qw(LBC_DIR PP4LBC_DIR)) {

Please let me know how you get on. If you confirm that this fixes the problen then we will make sure we change this for PRECIS2.

All the best,
Simon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:50 pm 

Hi Simon,

thank you for the reply. However, we went ahead and re-installed OpenSUSE 12.3 directly, so unfortunately, can't test the script changes you suggested at the moment.

However, I notice that on OpenSUSE 12.3, the benchmark experiment also has a (small) deprecation issue in the relevant ".leave" file in ~/precis_exp/precis_output line 287:

Code:
281 Ancillary updating completed at Fri 27 Jun 17:07:56 BST 2014 
282 ---------------------------
283 Time taken by /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/ancil_update: 
284   **ANCIL_TIME:   133.45s real   131.44s user     0.79s system
287 Use of qw(...) as parentheses is deprecated at /home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/lbc_update line 156.   
288 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
289 LATERAL BOUNDARY CONDITION UPDATING ...

I'm not sure if its related, but another issue I am having is that the graphical runtime monitor window is not working (The Real time monitoring system states, "Graphical output not yet available" all through the simulation), so I am unable to see what is happening with the experiment. I tested CDAT and it works fine but just not with precis. I can't find the reason for this problem. Is there anything you can suggest please?

Again, I'm not sure if its relevant, but I note that there are some other warnings in the ".leave" file in ~/precis_exp/precis_output, eg "/home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/qsserver[877]: ct: not found" and "cannot access /home/precis/precis_expt/abcaa/*.gif":

beginning of section:
Code:
 =====================================================
 GCOM Version 3.8
 MPI_mpich2
 Using precision : 32bit INTEGERs and 32bit REALs
 Built at Wed Dec  1 12:29:53 GMT 2010
 =====================================================

OPEN:  File /home/precis/precis_expt/abcaa/abcaaa.start.h8c10 to be Opened on Unit 21 Exists
OPEN:  File /home/precis/precis_expt/abcaa/abcaaa.start.h8c10 to be Opened on Unit 21 Exists
OPEN:  File /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/abcaa/qrclim.ozone.abxsq to be Opened on Unit 30
Exists
OPEN:  File /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/abcaa/qrclim.sst.abxsq to be Opened on Unit 35 Ex
ists
OPEN:  File /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/abcaa/qrclim.sice.abxsq to be Opened on Unit 36 E
xists
OPEN:  File /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/abcaa/qrclim.so2dms.abxsq to be Opened on Unit 11
0 Exists
OPEN:  File /home/precis/precis_expt/ancil/abcaa/qrclim.oxi.abxsq to be Opened on Unit 116 E
xists
OPEN:  File /home/precis/precis_expt/abcaa/alabcin_abcaa to be Opened on Unit 95 Exists
CLOSE: WARNING: Unit 60 Not Opened
OPEN:  File abcaaa.pah8dec to be Opened on Unit 60 Exists
CLOSE: WARNING: Unit 69 Not Opened
OPEN:  File abcaaa.pjh8c20 to be Opened on Unit 69 does not Exist
OPEN:  File abcaaa.pjh8c20 Created on Unit 69
OPEN:  File abcaaa.pjh8c20 to be Opened on Unit 69 Exists
OPEN:  File abcaaa.pjh8c20 to be Opened on Unit 69 Exists ........

....several hundred repetitions of last line, then...
Code:
OPEN:  File abcaaa.pah8dec to be Opened on Unit 60 Exists
OPEN:  File abcaaa.dah8c20 to be Opened on Unit 22 Exists
OPEN:  File /home/precis/precis_expt/tmp/abcaa.apsum1 to be Opened on Unit 23 does not Exist
OPEN:  File /home/precis/precis_expt/tmp/abcaa.apsum1 Created on Unit 23
OPEN:  File /home/precis/precis_expt/tmp/abcaa.apstmp1 to be Opened on Unit 24 Exists
CLOSE: WARNING: Unit 69 Not Opened
OPEN:  File abcaaa.pjh8c30 to be Opened on Unit 69 Exists
/home/precis/um/vn4.5/scripts/qsserver[877]: ct: not found
ls: cannot access /home/precis/precis_expt/abcaa/*.gif: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access *Hrly-Mns.gif: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access *Daily-Mns.gif: No such file or directory
OPEN:  File abcaaa.pjh8c30 to be Opened on Unit 69 Exists
OPEN:  File abcaaa.pjh8c30 to be Opened on Unit 69 Exists....

Thank you,

Isabella

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:13 am 

Hi Isabella,
The deprecation error you see in the *.leave file, the error with ct, and the non-functionality of the monitor window are not issues that cause the regional model to fail. You can ignore those.
It's best if I can get access to your system via ssh or team viewer at this point.
Thanks
David